“It’s a story of migration.”
Tacos al Pastor (or “the Shephard’s Tacos”) and shawarma….Notice any resemblance?
When Lebanese communities emigrated to Mexico, they didn’t forget to bring shawarma with them! Tacos al Pastor is the Mexican adaptation of the Middle Eastern classic, with a few added tweaks. As the dish adapted into Mexico, traditional Lebanese lamb became substituted with pork. Another major change is the garnishing of pineapples on-top for an added tangy flavor!
Does this sound up your alley? Here’s a recipe for you to try at home!
For the Al Pastor Meat/Marinade:
- 2-3 pound Pork Loin cut into thin slices (or substitute of your preference)
- 4 Guajillo Chile boiled, de-seeded, and cleaned.
- 1 Ancho Chile boiled, de-seeded, and cleaned.
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 cup of orange juice
- 3/4 cup of pineapple juice fresh is better
- 1 Tablespoon of Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon of Thyme
- 1 Tablespoon of Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon of Cumin
- 1-2 Tablespoons of Paprika
- 1-2 Tablespoons of Salt
- 3 Cloves
For the Roasted Tomatillo Chipotle Sauce:
- 3 Tomatillos
- 1/4 Onion
- 2 small cloves of garlic
- 1-2 chipotles depending on level of spiciness you want
- 3 Tablespoons of Pineapple juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Tacos:
- 15 Corn Tortillas
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped Onions
- Lime juice
- Grilled pineapple
- Tacos al pastor meat
For the Al Pastor Meat/Marinade
- Blend all of the ingredients together until completely combined.
- Strain the liquid over a bowl to end up with a smooth marinade.
- Add one layer of meat in a large bowl or baking dish and cover with the marinade, and then repeat in layers until all of the meat and marinade have been used.
- Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (overnight is best)
- Remove from the refrigerator and grill the meat until cooked through.
- Remove from grill and cut into thin slices to serve on the tacos.
For the Roasted Tomatillo Chipotle Salsa
- Roast the tomatillo, onion, and garlic in the oven on baking sheet at 450 degrees for 8-10 minutes, remove from oven.
- Blend with the rest of the ingredients except the salt and pepper until well combined.
- Put in a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the Tacos
- Heat the tortillas with a little bit of oil.
- Add the meat, the pineapple, the salsa, the lime juice, the cilantro and onions.
Recipe Source: https://www.mylatinatable.com/best-tacos-al-pastor-recipe/